Frequently Asked Questions About
Truck Accidents in Los Angeles
If you’ve been in an accident involving a large commercial truck, you could be dealing with serious injuries and property damage — and you may be wondering how you will cover your medical bills, lost wages and vehicle repairs. During this time, it’s critical to work with a skilled Los Angeles truck accident attorney who has experience seeking compensation on behalf of crash victims and their loved ones.
At the Law Offices of Christopher Montes de Oca, our trusted team of truck accident attorneys serves individuals and families throughout Southern California. We take the time to ensure you completely understand all of your legal options, and then outline a strategy that gives you the best chance at securing compensation for the damages you’ve suffered.
Why do truck accidents occur?
Accidents involving commercial trucks tend to be very serious in nature, due mostly to the sheer size and weight involved. There are a number of reasons why these crashes tend to occur, and the following are the most common:
- Negligent driving: Just like any other motorist, truck drivers have a responsibility to operate their vehicles safely. If they take drugs or alcohol before getting behind the wheel, engage in distracted driving or drive recklessly, they are much more likely to cause a serious accident.
- Fatigued driving: Truck drivers are often under a lot of pressure to meet tight shipping deadlines. As a result, they may violate federal laws limiting the amount of time they may spend on the road before resting. Fatigued drivers have slowed reaction times and, in some cases, may even fall asleep behind the wheel.
- Equipment failure: Trucking companies have a responsibility to properly maintain their vehicles, performing regular checks and making necessary repairs. Blown tires, brake failure and engine problems are all common causes for truck accidents — and they are often preventable.
- Improper loading: Loading a trailer with too much weight on one side may cause the entire vehicle to tip over, especially in windy conditions. Shipping companies must ensure that their crews are properly loading these trucks to prevent this problem.
- Road conditions: In wet or foggy conditions, truck drivers must slow down and be extra careful. Traveling too fast for conditions may result in a serious crash.
Considering these issues, there are a number of parties that may be at fault for a crash, including operators, trucking companies and shipping companies. This makes it difficult to determine the exact cause, which is why it’s so important to work with a Los Angeles personal injury attorney who has experience investigating these specific types of accidents.
Speak with our Skilled Los Angeles Truck Accident Lawyer Today
To learn more about your legal options after a serious truck accident in Los Angeles, reach out to the experienced personal injury attorneys at the Law Offices of Christopher Montes de Oca in Los Angeles. For a free initial consultation, call us today at 562-901-4664 or contact us online.